Clogged Dryer Vents Are a Leading Cause of Home Fires Image - Northern Virginia - Winston's Chimney ServiceThe biggest fire hazard in your home could be your clothes dryer. A few years ago, the US Fire Administration released “Clothes Dryer Fires in Residential Buildings 2008-2010” which stated that 2,900 clothes dryer fires were reported each year that resulted in approximately five deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. Why were there so many clothes dryer fires? The leading cause of these fires involved dirty and clogged dryer vents. These fires could have been easily prevented by a professional dryer vent cleaning. At Winston’s Chimney Service, fire safety is our top priority, which is why we provide dryer vent cleaning services along with our chimney and fireplace services. We would like to answer some of the most frequently asked questions we get about dryer vent cleaning.

Why are clogged dryer vents such fire hazards?

The reason why a dirty and clogged dryer vent is so hazardous has to do with lint. Every time you dry a load of clothes, a great deal of lint is produced. While about 75 percent of this lint is collected in the lint screen, the rest of the lint ends up in your dryer vent and can accumulate to the point of clogging the vent. When the vent is clogged, your dryer cannot exhaust properly, and this causes the appliance to overheat. Lint is so flammable that it is recommended to start campfires by the Boy Scouts of America, so when your dryer overheats, the extremely high temperatures can ignite the lint into flames. Winston’s Chimney Service will take great care to remove every bit of lint and other debris from the dryer vent so that your dryer can exhaust correctly. Our professional dryer vent cleaning service greatly reduces your risk of an accidental dryer fire.

What are the other benefits of a professional dryer vent cleaning?

Not only does a clogged dryer vent turn your dryer into a dangerous fire hazard, but it also reduces the life of the appliance. When your dryer overheats, it causes important components to wear out more quickly and break down. One of these components is the heating element, which can be very expensive to repair. You may even have to replace your dryer if this part breaks down. Another benefit of this maintenance service is that your dryer will work more efficiently. One of the biggest warning signs of a clogged dryer vent is when your clothes are still damp after a complete drying cycle. Having to run your dryer for more than one cycle to fully dry one load of clothes can be a waste of money and energy. After Winston’s Chimney Service has cleaned your dryer vent, you will notice a big improvement in how your dryer works as well as lower utility bills.

Keep your dryer from being a dangerous fire hazard. Contact us at Winston’s Chimney Service to schedule an appointment for a professional dryer vent cleaning today.