Is your chimney looking a little worse for the wear? Once the burning season has ended, many people choose to invest in chimney repair work throughout the warmer months. This gives sweeps ample time to get the job done, and it ensures a prompt repair.
If you are ready to invest in the care you deserve, count on the experts here at Winston’s Chimney Services. Learn more about some of the many services we offer by reading below. Additionally, feel free to reach out with any questions. We would love to help you out!
How Does Winston’s Address Masonry Damage?
- Rebuilds & Partial Rebuilds: When it comes to getting your brickwork and mortar looking great and standing strong, we strive to do everything we can to fix any imperfections. Unfortunately, simple repairs do not always fix the entire problem. Sometimes, chimney rebuilds are necessary to ensure a safe and efficient system. The idea of a rebuild can seem scary, but rest assured our team is equipped to handle it all.
- Water Damage Repairs: All too often, we come across chimneys that were not adequately protected from rains and harsh weather and have, as a result, faced some extensive water damage. Many do not realize that their brickwork is actually quite absorbent and, once water gets inside, it can break things down in a hurry. If your chimney is suffering from any type of water-related damages, we can help.
- Waterproofing: We can use specially formulated products on your brickwork that keep water out, all without affecting the look and function of your structure. What makes these products better suited for your chimney than store-bought paints and sealers? Vapor-permeability. This means any pre-absorbed moisture won’t get stuck in your bricks and mortar, thus continuing to break things down.
- Tuckpointing & Brick Replacement: If your mortar is crumbling and your bricks are spalling, then investing in repair work as soon as possible is a must. These damages cause your system to function much less efficiently, and they put your home at risk of gas leaks, fire, and smoke exposure. Tuckpointing involves removing your old, damaged mortar and replacing it with new mortar that matches your original masonry in texture, style, and color.
- Preventive Maintenance: There are a number of services that prevent further damage from occurring down the line. You should have a chimney cap installed, and you’ll want to make sure your chimney crown is in tip-top shape too. In addition, have your flashing checked over – or get some installed if you have none – and, lastly, consider installing a cricket to prevent any further leaks from occurring.
Why Is It Important To Address Chimney Masonry Damage Right Away?
When the bricks and mortar joints are damaged, your chimney is at a greater risk for water penetration, which can then cause even more deterioration. The Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) warns of how destructive water can be by calling it the biggest enemy of masonry chimneys. Neglecting masonry chimney damage can lead to serious structural problems, including the collapse of the chimney.
How Does Water Do So Much Chimney Damage?
Masonry materials, like brick and mortar, are naturally porous. Since they are constantly exposed to the elements, water from rain and melted ice and snow is easily absorbed and trapped inside the masonry materials.
This trapped water causes extensive damage during the winter when the temperature drops below freezing. How so? It freezes and expands – and when it thaws, as the weather warms up, the force causes the bricks and mortar joints to crack and break apart. Repeated freeze/thaw cycles can result in serious damage to the chimney structure.
In addition, water can trigger rusting, wood rot, mold growth, deterioration, clogging, foul odors, and a whole lot more. Prevention is always the better option.
We’re Equipped To Help With It All
Ready to get your masonry repairs going? Great. The first thing you’ll want to do is set up an inspection with our team. This will give us a chance to look things over and figure out just how bad your masonry damage is. Once we get a clear analysis of where we’re at, we can suggest further services based on your specific situation. Whatever the case, we are certain we can lead you in the right direction.
When you count on the crew at Winston’s Chimney Service, you can rest easier knowing a team of trained and qualified professionals is on the job. Our technicians are CSIA, NFI, and FIRE certified and ready to provide you with the high-quality services you deserve. Give us a call today to get your appointment scheduled.